RE: Re: Leak in AC refrigerant

From: Tom Coulter (metalshop@optonline.net)
Date: Wed Aug 19 2009 - 08:24:40 EDT

Appreciate your response, Hop. Your statement:

"You also need to keep in mind the amount of oil residue inside the system.
It might not mix well with solder making it hard to seal up."

is well taken, and is exactly why I added emphasis to "cleanliness" in the
question I posed:

Could the condenser be removed, CLEANED and taken top a good aluminum
welder?

And yes, the welding is a special type of AL solder.

The mechanic advised AGAINST attempting a repair, and FOR getting a totally
new one (which is probably good advice).

That's about where I am. I plan on getting the ACI unit indicated in the
link I provided.

As I said, I'm stoked no end that I don't have to get up under the dash for
the evaporator.

-Tom