RE: RE: Fuel Pump

From: Ray Block (BPracing@wowway.com)
Date: Thu Aug 27 2009 - 22:34:58 EDT

Aw geez Brian, I have to disagree. While it's true the pump won't build
any more "pressure" by cycling the key a couple times, it will pump more
volume with each cycle. (each cycle only lasts a few seconds) Depending
upon how much pressure/volume is lost to fuel retuning to the pump during
non-use of the truck, it may take one, two or three cycles to get enough
fuel to the injectors to enable an immediate start upon ignition.

I've been dealing with this for, hmmm, 17 years on my '92. It's had two
fuel pumps and several (on the fuel rail) fuel pressure regulators.
Nothing helped. It works fine if the restart is within a few hours but
after overnight or longer, it will crank quite a while before starting if
you don't cycle the pump first. Depending...it may take one to several
cycles. Do that and it will fire before the starter quits spinning.

Just my experience. Yours, understandably, may differ....but that doesn't
mean mine isn't valid. ;)

Ray