Re: RE: Fuel Pump

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Aug 28 2009 - 17:49:39 EDT

Ted Wiegandt <twiegandt@gmail.com> wrote:

> As Ray said, it takes 3-4 cycles of the key to build enough pressure
> that the engine starts right up like it should if it sat overnight.
> If it just sat for 10 minutes, it starts with no delay.

> I have been doing the cycle the key thing and it is getting annoying
> so I am checking my options. Does anyone know where to get a check
> valve that I can splice into the fuel line?

   Before spending any money on a cure, it would probably be a good
idea to see if you can find out exactly where the leakdown is
occuring. The three main culprits are back to the tank through a
faulty check valve in the fuel pump, forward to the engine through a
partially stuck open fuel injector, or out to the atmosphere via a
breach or leak in the fuel line itself or one of the fittings on the
line.

   Granted, you could always throw a check valve on the line, and if
the fuel pump is the culprit, you will have fixed the problem with a
minimum of fuss, but if it isn't, you've spent time and money but are
no closer to a solution.

   If you can install a shutoff valve in the fuel line, that might be
a good test. Run the vehicle with a fuel pressure gauge attached,
shut it off, then shut the valve and let it sit for however long it
usually takes to leak down and check the gauge. If the pressure has
dropped, you know its not because of the fuel pump. As far as
checking the fuel line goes, a visual inspection may turn up
something, possibly some UV dye could be used in the tank (check first
to make sure it won't hurt anything to run it through the engine).

   Your local hardware store may have a suitable check valve. You
should check to make sure it will be compatible with fuel though. An
auto parts store may have something as well. One possibility might be
one of those primer bulbs, like are used on motorboats. Those are
used on very low pressure systems though, so they may not be able to
handle EFI fuel pressure or have enough flow.

   Here is a fuel line check valve intended specifically to prevent
the leakdown problem:

http://www.automotivetoolsonline.com/SU-CKV5-Fuel-Line-Check-Valve-for-516-Lines-SURR-CKV5_p_13227.html

   A bit pricey perhaps, but still much cheaper than a fuel pump, and
there may be less expensive alternatives. A google search should turn
up more. Note that many "fuel line check valves" are intended for
fuel *vent* lines - they allow air in while preventing fuel from going
out. Often they are not spring loaded - they depend on gravity to
shut them; something like that is likely not adequate for your
application - you need something designed for constant, liquid flow.

   Just to throw out another idea - it would be possible to make your
own "check valve" by using a fuel solenoid in the line, wired to be
open only when the ignition is on. I suppose an auxiliary switch
could also be installed such that it could do double-duty as a theft
preventative. This is more complex and more expensive than a simple
mechanical check valve, so probably not the best option, but I figured
I would mention it in case it tickled your fancy. :-)

--
                                          -Jon-