97 Dakota Engine and Trans swap

From: Dan Jones (amishpimp93@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Aug 29 2009 - 21:13:32 EDT

Hi all.

Long time (10yrs) board lurker here that has some questions about engine and transmission swaps.

The main question I have and wanted to see is if anyone has any suggestions on engine and transmission swaps done at the same time. Like combo setups that people have done where both of the items mated together and have operated successfully, or with the little kinks that get worked out.

My truck is a 97' 318v8 xcab auto 2wd w/AC that's approaching the 125k mark with very little gone wrong (knocking on wood) and have started preparations over the next 6 months or so at either looking for a new vehicle or rebuild my current one, which I would love to do since it's my favorite truck of all time.

So with that said, any pros or cons to swapping in new gear? Like longevity differences as to just buying a new car vs the mileage you can get out of a new swap?

Ideally I would like to look at getting a 360. Have there been any new advances in aftermarket transmissions available that have a 5th/6th gear verse the 4 gear stock auto that came in the trucks originally?

I'm researching the web and the archives about swaps people have done. Just wanting to see if people have done both at the same time and had some good luck on combination's and can list the manufacturers they went with or suggest ones to look in to.

Thank you

http://windowslive.com/Campaign/SocialNetworking?ocid=PID23285::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:SI_SB_facebook:082009