Muffler/Pipe Replacement

From: Kurt Cypher (kcypher42.lists@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Sep 21 2009 - 10:04:40 EDT

I have a '97 V6 2WD extended cab that has a number of issues at the
moment. Today's issue to be looked at for possible near-future fixing
is the exhaust system. It's sounding a little rough, and cursory
glances tell me that it's looking a little rough as well. It may be
the original muffler & piping, but I'm not sure because it belonged to
my Dad for most of its life, before I inherited it in '06.

The question is, how hard is it to replace the post-cat exhaust system
(muffler & pipes)? I haven't had a chance to crawl under and check,
but from what I understand, everything is bolted together, so once the
old stuff has been removed (with much swearing at rusted-together
parts), in theory, it should just be a matter of bolting in the
replacement pieces, assuming I've purchased pipes that are already cut
& bent to the proper configuration. Does this sound correct?

Thanks,
Kurt