Re: off topic tires

From: Andy Levy (andy.levy@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Sep 23 2009 - 10:30:39 EDT

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 08:28, Lynne Ellsworth <lynne@whoi.edu> wrote:

> dear good people @ DML
>   I know that over the years I have valued all of the input that makes for a
> very successful run on the information hyway
> relating to more than Dakotas from you folks.
> Again this may be off topic but I feel at home here to ask for more help.
>   Can a good better all season tire can be recommended replacing bridstone
> potenzas on my Subaru driving new england
> weather. I have chosen toyos yokahamas goodyears in the past for my Dakota
> with little off road use but I am overwhelmed
> by the car utility tire market. I looked at Michelin pilots wow what a steep
> price.
> someone with similar history may have something to say about staying away
> from would help too.
> what should I look at? any help appreciated . thank you for reply.

The Potenza RE92 tires that came on your car (I'm guessing an Outback
or Legacy, maybe an Impreza?) are garbage.

I've got Goodyear TripleTreads on my '03 Outback and they've been
excellent for 50K (80K treadlife warranty, they're wearing well).
Nokian WR2s are also very highly regarded amongst Outback owners.

I like the TripleTreads on the Outback enough that last fall I put a
set on our Caravan. I've also recommended them to my father in law for
his Grand Caravan and my brother for his Grand Prix (my sister might
even have them on her G6, I don't recall). Everyone's been very happy
with them. When it's time to replace my TTs in about 18 months (based
on mileage estimate), I'll go with them again.

Yes, they're a little spendy BUT they're what keeps you on the road. I
recently read that tire deals are getting hard to come by nowadays,
which is a bit of a downer. When I got my TripleTreads, I got a decent
discount (don't recall the exact details) plus 12 months no interest
on my Goodyear credit card. I think it was $680 out the door including
the alignment & tax, but that was also 3 years ago.

I did the math on buying from Tirerack.com and it didn't work out.
Find a good local tire shop instead, not a mega-chain.

There are other less-expensive tires that folks have recommended as
well, but I don't recall them as I've been so happy with the TTs that
I haven't looked elsewhere. There are countless tire discussion
threads on http://subaruoutback.org/

Whatever tires you get, make sure you get a 4-wheel alignment done by
a good shop when you get the tires put on.