Tranny weirdness ( HELP )

From: Dan Kramarsky (dkramarsky68@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Sep 25 2009 - 14:21:32 EDT

All,

I havent posted in a while but I stumbled into a tranny problem. Perhaps a expert on the A518 ( 46RH ) can help me with this one?

Symptoms:

1. When coming to red light in "D" , the engine comes close to stalling and once it did actually stall.

2. When coming to red light in "N", no problems, engine is idling at 650rpm

3. When coming to red light in "2", no problems, engine is idling at 650rpm

4. When coming to red light in "1", no problems, engine is idling at 650rpm

5. Every morning ( when engine/tranny is cold ) I will start the truck and then shift to "D". But it takes 3 to 4 seconds for the tranny get in gear. It does so with a "clunk" sound.

6. Fluid is at correct level, maybe a tide high. Color is darkish red but i was told color doesn't matter anymore.

7. Fluid is Mopar ATF +4. Filter is Wix.

8. Truck behaves nicely around town and on the highway. No drivability problems other than what happens when I stop at a red light.

9. No other engine or electrical symptoms to report.

For now, I am forced to come to a red light in "N" to eliminate the chance of a stall. When the light turns green, I select "D" and drive away.

Q: Does anyone know what part of tranny is causing this? Is it a solenoid in valve body? Or a 'governor' or a 'band' etc?

Dan K.

Vehicle 1: 1992 Dodge Dakota Club Cab LE   Color: Two-tone silver   Engine: 5.2L EFI  Mods: Home-brew CAI, March pullies, K&N Filters, Relocated IAT, DynoMax Turbo Exhaust and Hi-Flow Cat.  Race weight:  3700 lbs.

Photo: http://static.flickr.com/42/84856795_c18903d10f.jpg

Vehicle 2: 1993 Ford Crown Victoria LX  Color: White  Engine: 4.6L EFI   Mods: none yet.

Photo: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3098/2726734706_3f511ec702.jpg