Re: Spare Exhaust Parts

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Tue Sep 29 2009 - 14:06:15 EDT

On Sep 29, 2009, at 08:23 , Brian wrote:

> You will need a 4x4 y-pipe. A 4x2 one won't clear.

Thanks for the tip!

On Sep 29, 2009, at 10:06 , Don Rey wrote:

> I know you love rocks... but mud doesn't ding your Y pipes.

mud has stumps though - and this was a stump :)

Here's a video (20 minutes long) of the place I was playing Sunday
when I did it.
http://video.yahoo.com/watch/6080621/15797498

> I doubt it helps, but I have straight exhuast pipes laying around in
> various sizes.

Thanks Don, but straight pipes aren't really the issue here. though I
suppose I could patch in a non-dented section and straighten the
rest. Or rebuild it to true duals with an H pipe - but I have no room
for exhaust on the driver's side nor do I care to have that heat added
under the floor on my side. It's sad but I could really use this as a
justification to repower it. I'm not that bored right now though :)

On Sep 29, 2009, at 13:56 , Mike Sykes wrote:

> Early Gen II's (93-94) had 3" exhaust with larger exhaust manifolds
> and Y-pipes, so those will not do. Didn't most Gen III's have the Y-
> pipe and cat(s) all as one unit?

I remembered that some early trucks had bigger stuff, but I didn't
remember the years. Thanks.

I could go for the 3" stuff, right now my exhaust is just a 3" flex
section from the y pipe to a 3" Magnaflow muffler. I've not gotten
around to making the maze of bends I'll need to navigate through the
new tcase mounts. I'm sure I wont find a 93-4 Dakota around, would
the Rams be similar? *Much* better chances of finding a 4x4 v8 setup
in a Ram in a boneyard here.

Mike