Re: ball joints was Re: Alternator

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sat Oct 24 2009 - 16:46:48 EDT

Matt Beazer <teseract@moparhowto.com> wrote:
> The main problem from what I've read with the stock ones is that they're
> supposed to be "lifetime sealed", but the seals fail and let grit and
> water in, and since they're not greasable to flush the crud out, you end
> up with premature failure.

   This seems to be a theme in automotive design - reducing
maintenance requirements, however its difficult to circumvent the laws
of physics, so barring some radical redesign, folks just end up
trading the maintenance hassle for the replacement hassle.

   Another excellent example is the "maintenance free battery".
Assuming of course that we are talking about a lead acid battery, it
still needs to be vented and the electrolyte level eventually drops.
Of course, since it is sealed, its not possible to top off the cells
and the result is the same as a standard flooded lead acid battery
which is neglected.

                                        -Jon-

--
Jon Steiger