Miserable emissions failure

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Mon Nov 02 2009 - 12:19:11 EST

I just tried to get my '95 V6 to pass the Ontario Government's war on the
automobile, er I mean, program to save the environment. The results were
worse than last time, when the catalytic converter was bad.

Here's what I'm thinking:
- The cat is less than 2 years old (15,600 miles)
  I don't think that's the problem
- The O2 sensor is almost 6 years old (57,500 miles)
  Might need a new one of those
- Brand new PCV (7 miles before the test)
- Oil changed the day before the test
- I put half a can of Seafoam in the tank 20 miles before the test and
  topped up with 1/4 tank of "superclean" premium.
  Could it still have been burning out the junk that got loosened up?

This year's results:
Driving Test
------------
HC ppm: 124 (Fail), limit 52
CO %: 0.84 (Fail), limit 0.29
NO ppm: 2155 (Fail), limit 735
RPM: 1714 (Valid)
Dilution: 14.9 (Valid)

Idle Test
---------
HC ppm: 229 (Fail), limit 200
CO %: 1.46 (Fail), limit 1.00
NO ppm: N/A
RPM: 609 (Valid)
Dilution: 15.6 (Valid)

January 2008 results for comparison:
http://archives.dakota-truck.net/0801/0091.html

After the 2008 failure, I ran some Seafoam through the gas and intake, and
replaced the catalytic converter. It passed with flying colors on the
second try.

I'd appreciate any thoughts. The shop wants $85 for a diagnostic test
before they'll offer any ideas. Thanks.