Re: Miserable emissions failure

From: Mike Sykes (mikesykes@cox.net)
Date: Mon Nov 02 2009 - 12:52:11 EST

>>Here's what I'm thinking:
- The cat is less than 2 years old (15,600 miles)
  I don't think that's the problem<<<

I doubt that also...

>>- The O2 sensor is almost 6 years old (57,500 miles)
  Might need a new one of those<<<

could be a good place to start. If emissions numbers are off, could be a
sign of a lean or rich condition. Might want to think about when the last
time plugs/wires/cap/rotor got replaced also.

>>> - Brand new PCV (7 miles before the test)<<<<

PCM might still be adjusting to changes, but those tend to be nominal when a
PCV valve is changed

>>>- Oil changed the day before the test<<<

prolly not an issue.

>>>- I put half a can of Seafoam in the tank 20 miles before the test and
  topped up with 1/4 tank of "superclean" premium.
  Could it still have been burning out the junk that got loosened up?<<<

that's a possibility. It could also be a combination of several of the above
factors. I'm sure you've covered all of these bases, but sure the smog nazis
are letting the truck reach operating temperature before they run the
test... if the truck had been sitting for an hour or so and they put it
right on the machine, you may have still been in warm-up mode which is a
rich condition and it ignores input from sensors. I say, put a couple
hundred miles on her before you bring it back. =)

- miggity
00' R/T CC... mods, I has them.