Re: AOL write up on Chrysler changes...

From: Andy Levy (andy.levy@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Nov 08 2009 - 14:25:57 EST

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 01:50, <SilverEightynine@aol.com> wrote:

> http://autos.aol.com/article/chrysler-business-plan-2009
>
> Not happy with what I am seeing...

"Jeep Wrangler: New diesel model in the end of 2010"

If I had a nickel for every time we'd been promised a "new diesel
model" by any manufacturer that was never delivered, I could buy one
of those vehicles - if they existed!

As for the rest...too little, too long a timeline if they truly want
to save the brands. End either the Compass or Patriot NOW - don't wait
to consolidate in 2013. They're terrible vehicles, kill the worse of
the two.

Unibody truck? It's not a real truck. Don't blow smoke up my butt.

The article is horribly written. This jumped out at me:

"The high time for the brand was the 1990s, when they sold 629,000
models with only 3 models; in the new millennium they expanded the
model lineup to seven but sales actually dropped by over 150,000
units. Clearly, the strategy failed."

Jeep sold a lot more than 629K units in 10 years. I have to assume
they meant that the brand *averaged* that many sales per year.

Bear in mind that in the early part of this decade, Daimler killed
their biggest-selling Jeep model (Cherokee) and replaced it with the
Liberty, which got identical gas mileage and pissed off almost every
loyal Jeep buyer.

This is Daimler ALL OVER AGAIN.