Re: Re: I'm pissed off...

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sun Nov 08 2009 - 15:00:16 EST

Michael Maskalans <dml@tepidcola.com> wrote:
> On Nov 7, 2009, at 1:18 PM, jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
>> You pay dearly for this
>> benefit though in the form of depreciation. Plus, after the warranty
>> is up, when problems do occur, you're either back to fixing it
>> yourself or taking it to an independent shop, same as you would for an
>> older truck, however this time you're dealing with a significantly
>> more complicated system (computers, electronics, etc.), so similar
>> repairs are likely to be more expensive on a newer truck.

> and that's the other thing I'm thinking about as I wrench on this
> truck that's nearly what you want (I have carpet and a power driver's
> seat). I should really buy a spare starter, alternator, and fuel
> shutoff solenoid to put in a lead box. Those are the ONLY electronic
> needed to run this truck. and I could rig up a push/pull cable to
> replace the fuel solenoid.

   Yep - I hear the fuel pump (lift pump?) can be a bit finnicky and super
expensive, but fortunately I haven't had any personal experience with
that on mine.

[...]
> PS: there's no way in hell I'd buy a new vehicle off the lot unless
> it's a new-old-stock giveaway. I'll always be buying at least 1-2
> years old to let someone else take that huge hit that happens in the
> 30 seconds after papers are signed.

   Absolutely!!! There would have to be some MIGHTY extenuating
circumstances to get me to buy a new vehicle again. I do thank
everyone else who buys new though for creating a nice selection of
value priced vehicles. :-)

--
                                          -Jon-