RE: Opinions: To Shift into "N" on Ice w/ABS or not to in 4x4

From: Brian (hskr@cox.net)
Date: Sun Nov 15 2009 - 19:17:37 EST

>>Now, with ABS I'm not sure if this is true, as if you lock up all 4 wheels
>>while in "N" the ABS has no way to know the vehicle is still moving,right?

ABS will keep the wheels from locking up as long as it sense forward
movement. Generally speaking the computer is smart enough to realize that
you are going to go from 50mph to zero mph in a split second so won't allow
the brakes to lock up and will engage the ABS, as it continues to monitor
vehicle speed.

>>If
you're in drive, the rear wheels will fight the rear brakes and keep
spinning
even if the fronts lock up, enabling the ABS to know the car is still trying
move. But on the other side of it, my friend's 5 speed '00 Dakota with 4
wheel
ABS doesn't have problems with ABS kicking in with the clutch in while in
4x4,
which would be the same as an automatic in "N". Of course the difference in
>>capability in my '95 era ABS vs. '00 ABS could make a huge difference.

IMO, you do not want to take the vehicle out of drive unless you are under
10-15mph. The engine braking will help to slow you down without locking the
wheels up. And once you are going slower, the torque converter will unlock
and remove most of the power to the tranny so you won't continue to be
pushed forward. Did put your FWD cars into N when slowing down?? The
tranny/transaxle in those work by the same principle.

>>All I can figure is you have to be light on
>>the pedal even under emergency braking to get the full benefit of ABS?

That is both right and wrong. When ABS kicks in, it doesn't matter how hard
or soft you are pushing on the pedal. And actually if ABS kicks in you want
to push it down all the way and let the ABS slow you down. But if you are
prudent on your braking and staying aware of your situation and road
conditions you should never have to be in a position where the ABS kicks in
unless it's a panic stop.

>>To top it off, when trying to bleed the ABS portion of the braking system
on my
friend's '00 Dakota, we put it up on jack stands, engage 4 low in 1st gear,
let
out the clutch and rode the brakes. Even though it was suspended in mid-air
the brakes on all 4 wheels still pulsed for as long as you held the brake
>>down.

Sounds lie something wasn't working right on his brakes because if all four
wheels were in the air, pushing the brake pedal should have kept the wheels
from spinning, even if the truck was in gear.

>>So I guess I'm just looking for the best way to brake with 4 wheel ABS, an
auto
>>trans, with 4x4 engaged, on ice/snow...

Drive it like you did your FWD cars. Don't over think it, watch your speeds
and be aware of road conditions. Avoid fast changes in speed or direction
if the roads are ice/snow covered.