Re: RE: Opinions: To Shift into

From: teseract@moparhowto.com
Date: Sun Nov 15 2009 - 20:55:06 EST

> ABS will keep the wheels from locking up as long as it sense forward
> movement. Generally speaking the computer is smart enough to realize that
> you are going to go from 50mph to zero mph in a split second so won't allow
> the brakes to lock up and will engage the ABS, as it continues to monitor
> vehicle speed.

Yeah, I just saw myself in a situation sliding through a stoplight at low
speeds thinking the ABS would take care of the braking for me rather than madly
pumping the brakes trying to emulate ABS. ;)

> IMO, you do not want to take the vehicle out of drive unless you are under
> 10-15mph. The engine braking will help to slow you down without locking the
> wheels up. And once you are going slower, the torque converter will unlock
> and remove most of the power to the tranny so you won't continue to be
> pushed forward. Did put your FWD cars into N when slowing down?? The
> tranny/transaxle in those work by the same principle.

Admittedly, this was on an old early 80's F*rd 5.0L V8 T-bird. I doubt the
tiny drums on it were enough to keep the rear wheels from continuing to turn
while the front brakes were locked up due to automatic tranny "creep".

> Sounds lie something wasn't working right on his brakes because if all four
> wheels were in the air, pushing the brake pedal should have kept the wheels
> from spinning, even if the truck was in gear.

Heh, the ABS certainly got a workout, was a bit scary as the entire truck was
rattling on the jackstands. It wasn't really something that the ABS was
designed to deal with. ("Hey Fred, while we're tuning the ABS setup for this
truck, let's put 'er up in the air in 4 low and make sure the ABS still works
when the truck is airborne, you never know with those rednecks who drive these
trucks!")

> Drive it like you did your FWD cars. Don't over think it, watch your speeds
> and be aware of road conditions. Avoid fast changes in speed or direction
> if the roads are ice/snow covered.

Eh, I'm just nervous. I like my truck and I don't want to go sliding through
an intersection. I'll end up driving out to my Dad's place and dinking around.
 I can't do it in town in empty parking lots, the police around here would pull
me over, taser me for brandishing my car keys in a threatening manner, etc.
etc. ;) In the county isn't not nearly so bad, heh.

Thanks,

MattB