Re: Opinions: To Shift into

From: David Gersic (info@zaccaria-pinball.com)
Date: Sun Nov 15 2009 - 20:38:14 EST

On Sunday 15 November 2009 19:23:27 Andy Levy wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 20:19, <teseract@moparhowto.com> wrote:
> > Yes, it has the suregrip with 3.55 gears. That's why I'd figure I'd be
> > in 4wd a lot as I mostly drive at city speeds and my area isn't known for
> > it's excellent plow or deicing service.
>
> You probably will not need or want to be in 4Hi most of the time.

I find myself using it primarily at relatively low speeds. Streets around my
house (under 30mph), and around my office parking lot (10mph) it's helpful, as
I'm doing a lot of stop-and-go driving. The 55mph road between them is
normally plowed, and 4wd is no use there unless it hasn't been plowed yet and
we're doing 20mph.

That road is between two open cornfields, so it gets a lot of drifting snow in
the winter. Even if it was plowed, a couple of hours later parts of it can be
6"-9" deep in snow.

> 4WD is not a guarantee that you'll stay on the road.

Funny, I just wrote the same thing, then saw your message a minute later. Yep,
what's mostly in the ditch here is big 4wd SUVs driven by people who don't
understand the way their vehicles handle in the snow and get overconfident
when the gas pedal seems to work normally as long as the 4wd button is
engaged.