RE: Opinions: To Shift into

From: teseract@moparhowto.com
Date: Mon Nov 16 2009 - 00:49:15 EST

In article <E5496519B63C45BCB18DDCD3E7F45E64@brians>, hskr@cox.net ("Brian")
writes:

> My experience driving FWD cars in the winter for work(average 2-3K miles a
> month) is I can't wait to get back into my RWD truck so I can actually get
> around easier. I probably drive a little harder than most people, but FWD
> in the snow and it doesn't really "pull" you in the direction you aim it
> from my experience. I mean, it does when you first hit the gas and the car
> starts moving, but if you keep your foot in it and keep the tires spinning
> you actually start going straight ahead, and doesn't matter which way the
> wheels are turned. At least with my truck, I can turn my wheels, hit the
> gas pedal and kick the back end out to point the nose in the direction I
> want to go instead of trying to drag the rear of the car around while the
> front tires are spinning wildly and just pushing through the snow with no
> rhyme or reason on a FWD car.

This is true, if you don't have a center-mounted e-brake handle. I could spin
my Neon within it's length like a dream by cranking the wheel hard and pulling
the e-brake to spin me around. The wheelbase is so long on a Neon it was nice
any easy to handle.

Downside in that car is that it's so light that in more than a couple inches of
slush the rear end would get kicked back and forth. I almost put sandbags in
it a couple times for that reason.

MattB