RE: Opinions: To Shift into

From: Brian (hskr@cox.net)
Date: Sun Nov 15 2009 - 23:58:24 EST

My experience driving FWD cars in the winter for work(average 2-3K miles a
month) is I can't wait to get back into my RWD truck so I can actually get
around easier. I probably drive a little harder than most people, but FWD
in the snow and it doesn't really "pull" you in the direction you aim it
from my experience. I mean, it does when you first hit the gas and the car
starts moving, but if you keep your foot in it and keep the tires spinning
you actually start going straight ahead, and doesn't matter which way the
wheels are turned. At least with my truck, I can turn my wheels, hit the
gas pedal and kick the back end out to point the nose in the direction I
want to go instead of trying to drag the rear of the car around while the
front tires are spinning wildly and just pushing through the snow with no
rhyme or reason on a FWD car.

brian cropp

FWD you give it gas and it spins
and pulls in the direction you aim it. RWD with a limited slip the rear end
wants to spin in circles. ;)

The truck has 30x9.5x15" Hankook Dynapro MT RT03's on it with ~1500 miles on
'em. Hand siped inner tread blocks with a tire grooving iron to enhance ice
traction. I might end up doing more siping if it's not up to par on ice,
though I'd rather avoid it since it's a PITA.

And yes, sandbags are on my shopping list!

MattB