Re: NOx is Way up

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Nov 17 2009 - 17:27:36 EST

rws <rwsam2002@yahoo.com> wrote:
[...]
> Then I found it had mis-wiring in the ignition wires at the cap.
> #3 and #6 were reversed on one side and
> #5 and #6 reversed on the other bank.

Do you mean #5 and #7? (You mentioned #6 twice)

> (firing order 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2)
> Fault codes are: 12 and 27
> I believe 27 is an intermittant possibly in the Fuel Injection harness but have no idea how to repair it.

> Can any of the above cause the high NOx?

   I would suspect the biggest contributor to be the plug wires. This
would have resulted in the timing being off on four cylinders which
would most likely result in incomplete ignition, causing unburned fuel
to be expelled through the exhaust system.

> Could permanet damage occur to the CAT due to the mis-wiring?

   It could if allowed to run for a while, but I would suspect it is
probably OK if it hasn't been that way for very long. May have taken
some years off, but hopefully the CAT is still adequate. I wouldn't
worry about it at this point though, especially if the retest is free.

--
                                          -Jon-