cv axle assemblies non-oem new vs. remfd.

From: David Margrave (david.margrave@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 25 2009 - 03:31:24 EST

So I'm at 120k miles and the CV joints are starting to go.  Boots are still
in fine shape, I think it's just wear.

I have researched replacements and here are the options:

- Local dodge parts counter: $550 ea.
- chrysler parts direct website: $440 ea.
- Napa 'master drive' remanufactured: $100 to $150 or so ea.,  core charge extra
- O'reilly 'select' brand new: $60 or so ea., no core charge.
- amazon.com a1 cardone remanufactured: $150 ea. no core that I can
tell, free shipping
- local shops not researched yet: drivelines NW in Seattle, or what
appears to be their subsidiary fwdaxles.com

I suspect the inexpensive, non-oem new ones are made in China by a company
called GCK.  I've searched around and read a few horror stories of GCK
(axles snapping, incorrect tolerances, missing components, etc) and also
read other people have had no problems.    I have also read horror stories
about a1 cardone (I remember the brand from my auto parts employee days 20
years ago and thought it was a good brand, but what do I know), and also
read some people think it's fine.

So I'm really wondering if anyone here has tried a GCK cv axle, or an a1
cardone remanufactured axle.

Thanks,

Dave
1995 4wd 5.2l