Re: source of CV components

From: SilverEightynine@aol.com
Date: Thu Nov 26 2009 - 00:10:28 EST

In article <fe1086520911251154r3644ab40rbfca5bdb125cc399@mail.gmail.com>,
david.margrave@gmail.com (David Margrave) writes:

> One more CV question.
>
> The only source I can find for the components (i.e. balls, bearings,
> cage, etc) is chrysler, and it costs $500 for one outer cv joint just
> to give you an example.
>
> IS there any way to cross reference this to the actual supplier (i.e.
> federal mogul, etc) and maybe get an affordable source, if I were
> going to go the route of rebuilding? I've heard that it's mostly
> outer joints that wear out, not inners.

Don't bother trying to rebuild CV axles yourself - unless you really really
really want to. NAPA's reman shafts are made by Cardone. Up until just
recently they used to carry a limited lifetime warranty but are now one year.
In the years I have been with NAPA, I have seen very few cardone parts (water
pumps, power steering pumps and gears, axles) come back under warranty, and we
sell a lot of them. NAPA's brand new CV axles carry the LLT (limited life time
warranty)... I admit I do not know the vendor for those axles. I have not had
a chance to look into that.

Cardone has a far better track record than CCT who they took over for when CCT
went bankrupt. CCT went bankrupt for a reason. Working for Autozone (who sold
CCT axles at the time), I'd see more than a few CCT axles come back defective.

TerribleTom