Engine/Tranny removal

From: Azie L. Magnusson (maggie11@mchsi.com)
Date: Fri Nov 27 2009 - 13:02:43 EST

1995 Dakota ext cab 318/A518 all power & A/C.

I'm in the process of installing a different motor & tranny
in my '95 Dakota and I have some Q's and some comments..
Original engine 318 being replaced with same model 360 from
a Ram 3500.. Basically stock. Shorty headers and shift kit for
the A518. I pulled the transmission 1st.. What a job. I'd like to
choke the engineer that designed the wiring harness and the
one that designed the routing. It is nearly impossible to get the
upper 2 bolts out that hold the tranny to the engine.. I had to
remove the exhaust(stock) system @ the front. Then I had to
lower the tranny on a jack and reach above the tranny and
take out a bolt that holds a clamp to secure the wiring to the
Oxygen Sensor wiring that is located @ the top drivers side
holding the tail housing(OD) to the tranny. Then I had to
remove a clamp near the front of the tranny that holds the main
wiring harness in an apparatus that also has the gas line and
return in it... What ever happened to "Engine" specific and
"Tranny" specific wiring harnesses with connectors??? There is
one (1) long cumbersome wiring harness for both... Those clips
that secure the transmission cooler lines is also very difficult to
"unsecure".. The engine lifted right out with no trouble other
than that darned wiring harness. I hope I can get it all
reconnected again correctly. Same goes for the Vacuum lines.

The 360 from the Ram had no EGR. I've transferred the one
from the 318 to it. I also do not have the 360 Throttle Body.
I plan to use the one off the 318.. Any problems with that??
After I get her up and running again, I plan on having the
exhaust system redone. True Duals all the way out back.
I know I'll have to run both pipes down the pass side until
after the axle because of the large fuel tank, but you can be
sure that there will be a method of merely unbolting it and
letting it fall and come apart for tranny removal in case I
keep it long enough to have to do this again. Any problems
with that???

Anyone got any tips for a Senior citizen that is accoustomed to
working on much older vehicles that aren't nearly as cramped
for space as this Dakota, when I start trying to put all this back
together??????

If Nancy Pelosi has one more face lift -
She will have a beard.....

Azie