Re: O2 sensor, how hard?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sun Nov 29 2009 - 17:28:20 EST

Matt Beazer <teseract@moparhowto.com> wrote:

> Anyone have any experience/advice with replacing the O2 sensor on a 2nd
> gen V8 4x4? I'm thinking of doing mine and wonder how much of a
> challenge it'll be.

   Well, its not a 4x4, but I have changed the sensor in my 2wd GenII.
Its not too bad, probably the worst part is their tendancy to rust in
place. You may want to soak the area with PB blaster for a while
first. I wouldn't bother with the fancy O2 sensor type sockets, I've
always just used a crescent wrench. (Or an open end wrench, though I
can never remember what the proper size is and am getting too old/lazy
to keep getting out from under the truck to find the right one, hence
the crescent wrench.) :-)

    Your new O2 sensor will probably come with anti-seize on the
threads, but if not, applying a bit would probably be a good idea
(making sure not to get any on the sensor part itself of course).

--
                                          -Jon-