Re: O2 sensor, how hard?

From: Matt Beazer (teseract@moparhowto.com)
Date: Sun Nov 29 2009 - 23:54:00 EST

On 11/29/2009 02:28 PM, jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> Well, its not a 4x4, but I have changed the sensor in my 2wd GenII.
> Its not too bad, probably the worst part is their tendancy to rust in
> place. You may want to soak the area with PB blaster for a while
> first. I wouldn't bother with the fancy O2 sensor type sockets, I've
> always just used a crescent wrench. (Or an open end wrench, though I
> can never remember what the proper size is and am getting too old/lazy
> to keep getting out from under the truck to find the right one, hence
> the crescent wrench.) :-)
>
> Your new O2 sensor will probably come with anti-seize on the
> threads, but if not, applying a bit would probably be a good idea
> (making sure not to get any on the sensor part itself of course).

I've done 'em before on other vehicles. On my old 2.5L Turbo Laser
(Daytona) you had to loosen the power steering pump, push it forward,
then snip the wires on it, then get a large socket or open/closed end
wrench on it, then bang with a hammer to knock it loose, usually
pummeling your fingertips in the process. The first time I did it I
hadn't figured this trick out and ended up pulling the turbo out (whew)
and putting the end of the O2 sensor in a vice, then using the turbo
itself as the leverage to break it loose. That reminds me: Don't cut on
O2 sensors with air powered cutoff wheels. Some of them (Bosh) have PVC
plastic innards that put off toxic smoke that'll leave you outside the
garage laying on the lawn coughing your lungs out. ;)

So I guess I should rephrase: Can I get an open/closed end wrench on it
or deep socket without using a sawzall to hack the end of the sensor
off? And if so, is it in a location strong enough to take the torque of
a man beating on the end of a wrench without breaking something? ;)

MattB