Re: Re: oil burner conversion?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sat Dec 05 2009 - 23:17:00 EST

Michael Maskalans <dml@tepidcola.com> wrote:
> On Dec 5, 2009, at 8:59 PM, jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

>> I don't know how restrictive the DMV computer system is - I
>> would think that once it is given the vehicle's VIN (scanned from the
>> registration), its going to see what engine it was built with and want
>> the tech to plug in for an OBD-II check. I don't know if there is an
>> option for the tech to say "not applicable"?

> My only data point there is that they screwed up when I got my Jetta
> and the input it with a 'gas' fuel type. I informed them that it was
> a diesel and they sent me a corrected title and that was that. I
> don't know if it's that easy when the VIN doesn't agree with the
> requested change. but there was a 97 ZJ in Tonowanda with a 4bt under
> the hood an NY papers on the windshield. there are ways around most
> anything with a friendly shop though so it may have been done above or
> below board, I don't know...

    That's cool. Must be some way to do it then. :-) A friendly
shop definitely helps. What with the "new" NY computerized inspection
system though, I worry that even a friendly shop may not have enough
leeway to let things slide, either now or at some point in the future.
If it ever gets to the point where the inspection doesn't pass, that
will eventually trigger not being able to renew the registration (as I
recently found out when I let one of my vehicles go too long between
inspections).

    If you ever happen to run into that 4BT ZJ again, that might be an
enlightening topic to bring up with the owner. :-) I suppose there
might also be some folks from NY on that 4BT swap forum which could
provide some insight.

--
                                          -Jon-