Cannot get in gear

From: clhyer@cox.net
Date: Sat Jan 09 2010 - 17:13:48 EST

Once again I need to call on my friends in the DML community.
 I have a friend with a 2002 Dakota, V6, Auto, Column shift. The truck starts fine, but sometimes we cannot get the truck out of park. We can repeatedly restart the truck and eventually it (whatever "it" is) will cycle to the spot where the truck will go into gear and act like nothing ever happened.

As I typed that, it sounds a lot like my wife... maybe the truck is female?

Anyhow, my '99 FSM indicates this is fixed by replacing the steering column. Is there something else we might look at first? If we need a steering column, any idea of years that will interchange?
TIA,
Cal