Emissions followup -- we have a winner

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Tue Jan 12 2010 - 13:50:18 EST

On Tue, November 3, 2009 7:18 am, Zito, James A (GE Infra, Energy) wrote:

> Does it burn any oil? Thinking belly pan or rings wearing out.....if so
> the oil may have fouled the cat.

I think you were right, Jim.

I finally got around to following up on this test from last November. I
kept hoping I'd find a convenient time to take it in. I didn't, and I'm
running out of time, so I had to just live with an inconvenient PITA
(which sums up the entire program).

They said the two-year-old catalytic converter was bad. I didn't believe
them, but if you throw a certain amount of money at the problem, the govt
lets you renew the sticker even if it doesn't pass emissions. So I
figured I might as well throw money at the cat and see what happens. Sure
enough, it passed.

It does use oil, so I guess I'd probably better figure out where it's
going, or I'm going to be doing the same thing two years from now.

Have I mentioned lately how much I hate smog testing?