Re: Emissions followup -- we have a winner

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Jan 12 2010 - 20:46:31 EST

"Jason Bleazard" <dml@bleazard.net> wrote:
[...]
> It does use oil, so I guess I'd probably better figure out where it's
> going, or I'm going to be doing the same thing two years from now.

    I realize that this is treating the symptoms instead of the
problem, but I'll throw this out there just in case you haven't
thought of it already and/or the real fix ends up being more expensive
than you want to deal with (i.e. complete engine rebuild or something
along those lines.)

    You could install an "offroad" pipe such that all of your driving
is done without a cat; it could be re-installed come inspection time
and then promptly removed after passage. I don't know if there are
any caveats to driving around Ontario without a cat, such as impromptu
roadside inspections, fines and the like which might make the idea a
non-starter, but you would be in a better position than I to judge
that. I don't think the fact that the cat can be removed so easily is
necessarily an issue since Bob had his '97 set up that way, but I
don't know if he drove it on the street without the cat.

--
                                          -Jon-