Code 37

From: teseract@moparhowto.com
Date: Wed Jan 27 2010 - 19:13:27 EST

On my '95 Dakota, automatic, V8, I checked the codes for the first time today
since putting in the MP PCM. I'm getting a code 37, which can either be a bad
solenoid for the torque converter (which locks up fine, and responds fine to
the overdrive switch, since I use it frequently in city traffic) or the trans
temp sensor. This doesn't surprise me as when I hooked a scanner up to the
truck over the summer it showed the trans temp was *negative 1,000* degrees or
so.

The thing is, I can't find any reference to this sensor in the FSM and from
what I've read the only trucks with this sensor in '95 is the Ram when equipped
with the trailer tow package. Napa lists a sensor for the Dakota as
"Transmission Oil Temp Sensor", but Rockauto doesn't list one at all. I think
the MP PCM is shared with the Ram, so perhaps it's trying to detect a sensor
that was never installed at the factory?

It doesn't seem to be hurting the truck any, but I plan on dropping the pan and
changing the fluid/filter and adjusting the bands. I was thinking of having
the dealer do it as I'm too lazy and I've never adjusted the bands before on an
automatic, so I'm afraid of dinking it up. If I bring it in there with that
code they'll probably want to charge me $200 to fix it on top of the
fluid/filter/band adjust job, even though it's right there under the pan
apparently.

Thanks,

MattB