More Dak problems

From: Biff Byrum (bbyrum9@foothill.net)
Date: Fri Feb 12 2010 - 17:50:08 EST

My '98 CC is really giving me some more headaches. I think some of you have
gone through this, I hope anyway.

I just blew out my third O2S in the last eight months. And this time it no
longer wants to talk to any scanners. Yesterday it would talk to a big
Snap-On machine or the Cal-BAR machine.

For the last two months or so it is doing the coughing, backfire, and dying
on the road act.

It can die at idle, in park, or at 60mph on the freeway. When it dies at
idle it will always start back up right away.

So far the known good items are: Plugs, wires, cap and rotor and a new coil
(two weeks ago a small scanner did show a coil code just after I had put a
new one on.) Plus I just put in a known IAC motor, and it looked like it was
working correctly.

I've done a little research on the web, not much there. Someone suggested to
check the cig. lighter and horn fuses. Another 20 year mechanic suggested
that it could be the shorted O2s was "biting" the system, and suggested
unplugging the wire, removing power to the PCM and running it for a while to
see what would come back. (I just checked all the fuses, no problems)

The only things not checked are the TPS and the MAP. But when one mechanic
got one hand held unit to work a while back those codes did not come up.

The current O2S in it is a Bosch 13100, which shows as correct for all Daks,
Durs, and Rams for 1998 to 2000. (Except RT's)

I hope it hasn't blown out the PCM, a wrecker here quoted $275 for a used
one. Anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks, Biff