RE: Oil Pans Dak vs Ram

From: Ray Block (BPracing@wowway.com)
Date: Fri Feb 26 2010 - 17:31:45 EST

Azie, I understand by now this may be of no interest to you but it may be to
other DML readers.

I agree with you that the 5.9 Ram pan will not fit a Dakota because I have a
5.9 engine (in my garage) from a '95 Ram 1500 and it's rather obvious the
pan will not fit my Dak.

However, I was not "guessing" about the 5.9 VAN pan fitting the Dakota
chassis. I was first told by someone who actually took a 5.9 from a Van and
put it in his Dak that it dropped right in.

Being the skeptic that I am, I did my own research through my friend, the
parts manager, at my local Dodge dealer. The 5.9 Van pans and the '98 up
5.9 Daks use the same pan. They are the same part number but different than
the Ram pans. So, I bought one. Held it up beside my 5.2 pan and it will
definitely fit. Until I get around to changing engines I won't be able to
tell you the exact difference but the Van's 5.2 and 5.9 pans have different
part numbers.

Hope this helps someone. lol

Ray
FWIW, I bought my '92 new (special ordered, even) :)
Photos & specs: http://www.dragtruk.com/ENTRIES/20KM1FD2KWBP.html