Oil Pans Dak vs Ram

From: Azie L. Magnusson (maggie11@mchsi.com)
Date: Fri Feb 26 2010 - 13:13:47 EST

Ray B. writes:: >>Regarding your 5.9 install...
Oil pan from a 5.9 Ram Van is a perfect fit in the Dak....as is a pan from a
'98-newer 5.9 Dak. (actually same part #) <<

Well I watched the yard pull the 5.9 from a '95 Cab/chassis
Ram 3500 & I bought my '95 Dakota new & they are not the
same.. Won't fit. Perhaps the Van is different.. The 5.2 pan
worked OK. Just ticked me off that I didn't pay closer attention
to the difference and had to lift the engine back out and
change the pan..I think the Ram3500 pan will hold a couple
more quarts of oil than the 5.2 Dak will.

>> Where did you find info that '96 5.9 was internally balanced?
Never heard of such a thing before! <<

Al's Transmission shop in Athens, Al. Been buying torque
converters from them for 40+ years.. His book has a special
notation on the '96 being the 1st year of internal balance for
the 5.9.. List the same P/N for the 5.2 & 5.9 in '96 & that is
the same P/N as for all Magnum 5.2's according to Al.

I've used the weight kit to weld to the TC on a few occasions,
but I didn't want to chance it on my truck that I depend on
for all my daily transportation. The ones I used it on were
for folks or car lots that had no intention of keeping the vihicle
for any length of time. Balance is something I'm kinda
paranoid about.

"Except For Ending Slavery, Fascism, Nazism and Communism,
WAR has Never Solved Anything."

Azie