The Ram 4x4 saga continues - ideas requested. :-)

From: Jon (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Mon Mar 01 2010 - 19:30:37 EST

Hi Folks,

     I've been having a problem with the 4x4 system in my '92 Ram for a
while now. Basically what would happen is when the system was in 4hi
or 4lo, I would occasionally hear a "snap" noise, and at the same
time, the 4wd indicator light would briefly flash on and off. The
heavier the load on the engine, the louder the snap. This started way
back when it was still under warranty, and the dealership supposedly
fixed it. I don't know what they did, but what actually happened was
the problem went away for a little while but then came back, after it
was out of warranty of course.

     Working under the assumption that the CAD system wasn't fully
engaging, at the BBQ last year, Tom and I shimmed the CAD so that it
was engaged 100% of the time, thus locking the left front wheel to the
left axle, and making the only 4wd disconnect being the transfer case
itself. Unfortunately, this did not fix the problem, and while
walking alongside, Mike was able to determine that the snapping noise
seemed to be coming from the left front area - a bad u-joint was
suspected. The snapping noise seemed to be able to be created at will
by turning.

     I haven't done anything with the truck in that time, but today
dug it out of a snowbank because I wanted to use it to pick up some
building supplies, and its the only truck I have with a prayer of
making it out of my stupid driveway. Even though the 4wd system has
been wonky for a while, it did basically work, and all I needed was it
to work well enough to get out of the driveway.

     Unfortunately, that did not happen as it is now doing something
new... The front wheels don't seem to be contributing any effort and
I am now getting a grinding noise. Its hard to pin down from inside
the truck, but it sounds like the grinding is coming from the front
left axle area. The noise sounds like gears slipping on each other,
kinda like that "ticking" noise a couple of misaligned gears will make just
before slipping into place. Since the truck was not moving (just
spinning in its own ice ruts), I was able to let it idle in drive and
jump out to have a look. One of my rear tires was spinning (open rear
diff), and I could see the front driveshaft spinning, however neither
front tire was spinning. How is that even possible? The front diff
is open, but shouldn't at least one of the tires be spinning if the
CAD is engaged? As far as I know, there are no hubs with any sort of
disconnecting ability, isn't everything solidly connected? If so, it
seems like shearing a u-joint would be the only way that could happen,
but both joints look to be OK.

     Its weird that the problem is different now, and 4wd doesn't seem
to work at all. I never got that grinding/slipping noise before, just
that occasional, much louder snapping noise. I dunno if the cold
could have brought something on or what. The only thing I can think
of is perhaps the noise is the collar in the CAD slipping on the end
of the axle, but that should not be the case since the CAD was shimmed
to be on all the time. Unless someone comes up with something more
obvious, I suppose I will have to open up the CAD to have a look
inside and satisfy my curiosity. I just wish I didn't have to do it
in the middle of a snowbank. ;-)

     Anyhoo... That's where things are right now - if anyone has any
suggestions or ideas, I am all ears.

     Thanks!!

--
                                           -Jon-