Re: The Ram 4x4 saga continues - ideas requested. :-)

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Thu Mar 04 2010 - 21:28:54 EST

On Mar 1, 2010, at 7:30 PM, Jon wrote:

> The front wheels don't seem to be contributing any effort and
> I am now getting a grinding noise. Its hard to pin down from inside
> the truck, but it sounds like the grinding is coming from the front
> left axle area. The noise sounds like gears slipping on each other,
> kinda like that "ticking" noise a couple of misaligned gears will
> make just
> before slipping into place. Since the truck was not moving (just
> spinning in its own ice ruts), I was able to let it idle in drive and
> jump out to have a look. One of my rear tires was spinning (open rear
> diff), and I could see the front driveshaft spinning, however neither
> front tire was spinning. How is that even possible?

Well, it's either in the diff or in the CAD, that much is certain.
Unless that doesn't have the stock drive flanges on it anymore for
some reason and there could be hub lockout issues. The symptoms match
a broken axle shaft with an open diff too, but I don't think the noise
does.

I wouldn't be shocked if partial engagement of the CAD sleeve stripped
the splines. If that's the case I'd just get a 1 piece axle for the
longside and call it a day. Having CAD for the first time ever (on my
97 Cummins 3500) I've got to say that when it works, it really just
plain works. Not bad for a street truck....

Mike