Re: The Ram 4x4 saga continues - ideas requested. :-)

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Mar 02 2010 - 14:08:26 EST

Don Rey <radon220@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Jon, it could be the collar like you suggested... how did you shim
> it? If those shims came loose or something and the collar got
> misaligned, it would probably grind on the end of the splines until it
> freed itself. On my Dak, I left the whole fork assembly in there and
> just shimmed the fork in the "engaged" position. It took a little work
> to make sure it was centered between the shafts. I don't know what a
> 92 Ram CAD box looks like. But I'd say if a quick look behind the CAD
> cover doesn't tell you anything, you'll have to crack open the diff
> cover. Sounds like something's broke if you've got the driveshaft
> spinning but not the wheels. Obviously not what you want to hear
> considering the snowbank you're stuck in.

Thanks, Don! I'm hoping it is the CAD box - that whatever I did to
shim it has caused the malfunction (though it was working fine before
when I parked the truck). My memory isn't all that great, but I think
how I shimmed it was to cut a piece of copper tubing to basically make
a ring, and I slipped that around the shaft in the CAD unit such that
the shift fork was always positioned to have the shift collar be
engaged. That's why I'm really curious about what is going on,
because its not like I used something that could have slipped out of
position - its a tube slipped over the cad shaft itself!

    My 4x4 indicator light is on full time, which is another
indication that the CAD position "should" be right, since the switch
for the 4x4 light is depressed by the shift fork in the CAD unit. I'm
not sure if its possible for the shift fork to move in the disengaged
direction enough to disengage the collar but not far enough for the
indicator switch to not be depressed.

> Don in CT... all the snow's melted here :)

    Must be nice! Fortunately, its starting to melt here - or at
least compact somewhat. Probably it'll just compress enough to turn
the snowbanks into huge ice cubes that might melt in time for the BBQ.
:-)

--
                                          -Jon-