Re: The Ram 4x4 saga continues - ideas requested. :-)

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Mar 04 2010 - 23:00:50 EST

Michael Maskalans <dml@tepidcola.com> wrote:
> Well, it's either in the diff or in the CAD, that much is certain.
> Unless that doesn't have the stock drive flanges on it anymore for
> some reason and there could be hub lockout issues. The symptoms match
> a broken axle shaft with an open diff too, but I don't think the noise
> does.

> I wouldn't be shocked if partial engagement of the CAD sleeve stripped
> the splines. If that's the case I'd just get a 1 piece axle for the
> longside and call it a day. Having CAD for the first time ever (on my
> 97 Cummins 3500) I've got to say that when it works, it really just
> plain works. Not bad for a street truck....

    Thanks, Mike! After applying some John Deere power I was able to
get it into the barn, so its melting/drying off now and hopefully
within the next few days I will be able to get it on the lift and have
a look. Being able to get all four tires off the ground may help with
the diagnosis also. I sure hope I didn't do something stupid like
misalign the CAD and screw up an axle! Then again, *something* was
wrong with it before, so if it is maybe I'll just pretend it was
already like that. :-)

--
                                          -Jon-