RE: PCM Tuning

From: Ray Block (BPracing@wowway.com)
Date: Sun Mar 21 2010 - 10:44:17 EDT

Correct on all counts.

> However now in 2010, there's a company http://www.bgperformancepcm.com/
> that customs programs OBDI and II PCM's if you send them your engine specs
> (cam, compression, etc). Has there been a change in the ability to custom
> program OBD I PCM's? Are there any other known companies that can do
> this?
> Thanks for any insight!
> James

B&G has been around a long time but they didn't use to claim they could
reprogram an OBDI PCM. Around 2002 I checked with them, Marty at KRC and
Rick Ehrenberg at Mopar Action and all said there was nothing available for
OBDI systems other than the MP PCM. OBDII PCM's could be reflashed
though.

I'd be wary/curious of their claims for flashing an OBDI PCM and how much
value it may really add over a MP PCM. Here's one of their ads for 92-95
magnums and my observations below........

"*This PCM upgrade is designed for vehicles that have installed the M1
manifold.
*Revised premium fuel & timing tables
*Shift point raised to 5400 rpm
*Rev limit raised to 6000 rpm
*Torque management removed
*Speed limit raised 130 mph
*Note: Call for pricing on 92-95 SBEC"

The shift points and torque management cannot apply to OBDI systems because
the transmissions were hydraulically controlled from '92-'95. That changed
in '96 with the advent of the *RE (electronically controlled) transmissions
and OBDII PCM's.

I'm skeptical of the rev limit increase as well because my stock '92 PCM
allowed at least 6000 rpm and I've seen 6500 rpm with my MP PCM.

I think if one has chosen computer friendly cam specs the OBDI MP PCM will
be hard to beat for any reasonable cost. If it can get my 318 Dak into the

Ray
Photos & specs: http://www.dragtruk.com/ENTRIES/20KM1FD2KWBP.html