Intermittent tachometer on '97 Dakota Sport

From: Tom Coulter (metalshop@optonline.net)
Date: Thu Mar 25 2010 - 12:42:54 EDT

Hey guys,

Here's one for the books:

'97 Dakota Sport 2WD/3.9L

So I'm off on an errand yesterday, tooling along when, after a couple miles,
I happen to notice my tachometer needle is sitting on ZERO!

After pinching myself, I'm assured that I'm rolling along at 35-40 mph and
the engine's running. I come to a stop light, put her in park, and rev the
engine. Needle still sitting on ZERO.

Within a couple more miles, amazingly, the tach needle is working fine!

So, I wonder if anyone has seen anything like this. And (I'm almost afraid
to ask), does it mean the tach itself is heading south? A fuse?
Or is the a "normal" Dakota hiccup?