Re: O/T tiller ?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sat Apr 10 2010 - 23:12:59 EDT

ffastje <ffastje@cox.net> wrote:

> Would anyone one happen to know what weight of oil to put in a 31/2 HP
> wizard tiller.
> The gear box i was wondering about. I just picked up a used tiller with
> no manual.
> Drained the old gear oil but is was really old & looked like mud.

    Usually these small equipment manufacturers do not manufacture
their own engines, so you might have the best luck searching based on
the engine itself rather than the equipment manufacturer. Are there
any labels on the engine to identify it as a Briggs and Stratton,
Tecumseh, Kohler, etc.? If you can find a data plate or something,
it should be pretty easy to find the requirements once you know the
engine's manufacturer and model number.

    Sometimes, the oil weight is stamped on the oil cap itself.

    A local small engine repair shop may be able to look it up in one
if their books.

    In my experience, you are usually pretty safe with a 30 weight but
I definitely would not recommend just using that except as a last
resort.

    I dunno if that helps or not; just a few ideas for what they are
worth.

--
                                          -Jon-