Re: O/T tiller ?

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@comcast.net)
Date: Sun Apr 11 2010 - 04:00:51 EDT

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> ffastje <ffastje@cox.net> wrote:
>

>>Would anyone one happen to know what weight of oil to put in a 31/2 HP
>>wizard tiller.
>>The gear box i was wondering about. I just picked up a used tiller with
>>no manual.
>>Drained the old gear oil but is was really old & looked like mud.
>

> Usually these small equipment manufacturers do not manufacture
> their own engines, so you might have the best luck searching based on
> the engine itself rather than the equipment manufacturer. Are there
> any labels on the engine to identify it as a Briggs and Stratton,
> Tecumseh, Kohler, etc.? If you can find a data plate or something,
> it should be pretty easy to find the requirements once you know the
> engine's manufacturer and model number.
>
> Sometimes, the oil weight is stamped on the oil cap itself.
>
> A local small engine repair shop may be able to look it up in one
> if their books.
>
> In my experience, you are usually pretty safe with a 30 weight but
> I definitely would not recommend just using that except as a last
> resort.
>
> I dunno if that helps or not; just a few ideas for what they are
> worth.

30wt is ok for the motor, but if it's the gearbox, then something
heavier is called for...
I think the factory gear oil spec. was probably SAE 140 GL-2. Check with
NAPA or Farm and Ranch stores. Whatever you do don't use GL-4 or GL-5.
The extra limited slip additives (ie sulfer based) in GL-4 and -5 are
harmful to the brass components in the tranny. However you can safely
use a synthetic gear oil. Another option is Royal Purple Max-Gear
85W-140 in mine and it doesn't use sulfer based additives.

Troy also allowed SAE 90 GL-2 but recommended it only if the tiller was
to be used in cold temp conditions.