Re: Fuel line replace

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Apr 13 2010 - 18:31:55 EDT

Don Rey <radon220@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Jon. I looked at braided stainless but wasn't sure how it would
> handle fuel. How long have you had them on the Barracuda? I imagine
> you have an inline filter before the carb... any gunk in there?

    Since 2001. On the Barracuda, I'm using aluminum hard lines for
most of the run, but most of the rest is braided stainless (connection
from surge tank to hard lines and hard lines to TBI, etc.) The only
filter is just downstream of the main fuel pump; I haven't checked it,
but it hasn't clogged yet either. :-)

    Definitely check with the manufacturer before purchasing if this
is a concern, but I think you'll be OK with most braided stainless
lines - I would be surprised if there were any that were not designed
with fuel in mind. For example, a snippet on the Summit web site for
their braided stainless says: "our hose is designed to handle any fuel
(including methanol and nitromethane)".

> I have first hand experience with what happens with fuel lines made of
> the wrong material. The factory Sea Doo fuel lines for a period of a
> couple years were made of a rubber material that breaks down after a
> few years of soaking in fuel. It disintegrates from the inside out so
> you don't necessarily know you have a problem. The results (to me
> personally) were clogged carbs and filters, and rough (lean) running
> (less observant owners have burned through pistons). I replaced all my
> lines with EFI rubber hose. Nearly 20 feet of it in that little craft!

    Ouch. :-) My ultralight uses the clear/tinted type fuel lines,
and it does break down over time, though that type of line doesn't
disintegrate, it gets brittle and cracks. Its nice to have clear
lines on something like that though since sediment is visible, and
because the stuff is relatively cheap (especially compared to a crash),
I replace all of the fuel lines in the entire aircraft every few
years.

> I think up here in the salty north, rubber lines will last longer.
> This truck will see beach driving and salt water boat launches also.

   Yep, I think you are right.

> Safety inspections were nixed ~8 years ago for cost savings (I have
> suggestions for other regulatory institutions to nix for cost
> savings). :)

    Nice! We need those kinds of savings around here. My daily
driver since January has been the Ram 3500 diesel because none of my
other vehicles have current inspections - its such a hassle to drag
them down to the shop every year for the meaningless inspection! The
cost isn't terrible, $10-20, but I'd prefer them to tack that onto the
registration and eliminate the inspection; its the scheduling and time
that is difficult.

--
                                          -Jon-