Resurrecting Christine.... again...

From: TerribleTom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Wed Apr 28 2010 - 23:13:01 EDT

Ok - thanks to those who emailed me off list. I was going to reply to
everyone individually, but I have since decided to throw this all out on
the list and see who can help.

I currently have promising leads for replacement truck frames at the
following locations.

------ Frame Number One ------

Rich's Wrecking
2605 10th Street
Gering, NE 69341

The frame here is a 1995 and should work. The person I talked to there
said it had "surface rust". I told him I was looking for a frame to
restore my truck, he said he "wasn't sure it was restoration quality".
Which I'm not sure how to interpret.

------ Frame Number Two ------

Catalina Auto Recyclers
4801 E. Cindrich
Tucson, AZ 85706

The individual I talked to here was the least helpful of them all. All
he would tell me was it "was a AZ truck, titled in AZ its whole life,
and is a rust free truck". I explained that I would be coming from
Wisconsin to get it and asked if someone would inspect it for me, and I
was told "well its a nice drive out here". .... thanks...

Regardless - this frame is a candidate. Its a 1988 and allegedly the
right configuration.

------ Frame Number Three ------

Pearson's Auto Wrecking
1317 Inyokern Rd.
Ridgecrest, CA 93555

Of all the salvage yards I have talked to over the last few years, this
was the most accommodating by far. They took a look at the frame, said
there was light surface rust and even gave me contact info for getting
freight quotes if I wanted to ship it. They called me back with the
info when few people bothered to call me back at all. The catch on this
one is that it is a complete truck.... which they were not willing to
sell to me in whole. Vehicles are worth more for parts than whole to
salvage yards and I understand this. They said it would take a month
for them to strip it down.... which I find some what odd - as I've known
salvage yards to strip a car or truck in a matter of hours.

The problem I am faced with is that all of these Potentials are way the
hell over on the west coast. I'm looking for willing helpers, someone
to actually go out there and take a look at it and see for themselves,
and grab some pics for me to see. There are places of interest for me
with regard to a used frame. Our Dakotas have known rust issues, and
while a truck operated in AZ or CA may last far far longer than one in
the Rust Belt... rust still has a way or growing on steel objects.

The locations I need to know about are:

Cab mount brackets
Front control arm mounting brackets
Motor mount brackets

The frames must me 4x4, 124 inch wheel base (regular cab, 4x4) Engine
and transmission combinations do not matter.

I'm willing to offer compensation for those who are able to help me.
Primarily I was thinking of reimbursement for fuel costs. I have a
paypal account and can wire funds in that manner. If you don't have
paypal, we can work something else out. I'm not loaded with cash, so if
it will be several hundred miles for you to reach one of these
locations, its not really plausible then. I can't pay hundreds of
dollars for fuel bills unfortunately.

Anyway... if there is anyone who is near one of these locations and can
take a look and some pictures for me, or might know someone who can.
Please let me know. I would be most grateful! Please let me know ahead
of time if you can make it, I wouldn't want someone to make a trip for
nothing if I have someone else who can do it. (ie left hand not knowing
what right hand is doing)

TerribleTom