RE: RE: @#$ $@#%$@ autozone brake Rant

From: Brian (hskr@cox.net)
Date: Sat May 08 2010 - 10:01:37 EDT

Guess I've just had a bad experience with ceramic pads so won't recommend
them or use them again. The one time I tried to use them, which was several
years ago when they first became really popular, I literally cracked a set
of Powerslot rotors in under 2 months with them on the truck. Powerslot
graciously replaced the rotors no questions asked, put on a set of
semi-metallics and had no problems. Could have been a bad set of rotors?
Sure, but I wasn't going to take another chance with them just for the "low
dust" benefit, which was about the only reason most people use them. My
take on it, and I am by no means a brake expert. Brake dust is a product of
wear. By having brake dust, it shows your brakes are properly working. The
pads are wearing due to friction scrubbing off the pad material and not the
rotor material. As for the comment about the brakes in general not being up
to the task, most guy in the Dakota R/T community have brake problems in
less than 20K miles on the factory brakes. It has been determined to be
that the small rotors and the single piston calipers Dodge used just weren't
up to the task of handling the abuse they were being put through. Especially
multiple trips to the drag strip with hard braking in the shut down area,
lots of "spirited" driving pushing the limits of the suspension and brakes,
which is what the R/T should be able to handle.

brian cropp