Re: The frame is a go!

From: TerribleTom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Fri May 14 2010 - 22:32:20 EDT

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> Yep, you can get in trouble for messing with the VIN tag, though
> swapping out the frame shouldn't be a problem any more than changing
> out the engine or transmission would be. I believe most officials
> consider the body to be the "vehicle". As the regular BBQers from
> several years ago may remember, Neil had his frame swapped out, and
> that was here in anal-retentive New York State.

Again I have to admit I'm not worried about this. I'm not "messing"
with the VIN... I'm not altering any tags, I'm not taking a grinder to
anything... just assembling a conglomeration of parts into a shape that
generally resembles that of a 1989 Dodge Dakota, using the VIN I have
used from day one. The truck is already registered, has been registered
  continuously, even though it has not been on the road...

If this was a truck that had a salvage title that I was trying to
rebuild and register again, or involving state lines for registration...
then I can see where someone might need to worry about this stuff. We
have no inspections where I am, don't even have emissions sniffers...
Wisconsin is pretty laid back in terms of registration compared to other
states.

--
TerribleTom