Re: The frame is a go!

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri May 14 2010 - 19:08:36 EDT

"Zito, James A (GE Energy Services)" <james.zito@ge.com> wrote:
> Not entirely true Tom. Most frames DO have a VIN stamp on them
> somewhere. Normally that doesn't become an issue; however, the way your
> luck runs I won't say the word n*v*r. Generally it's stamped in some
> rather hard to locate and generally un-publicized location -- i.e. one
> that the cops know about but most civies don't. As far as moving the VIN
> on the cab they likely have unique rivets attaching them to sheet metal.

    Yep, you can get in trouble for messing with the VIN tag, though
swapping out the frame shouldn't be a problem any more than changing
out the engine or transmission would be. I believe most officials
consider the body to be the "vehicle". As the regular BBQers from
several years ago may remember, Neil had his frame swapped out, and
that was here in anal-retentive New York State.

    PS (unrelated pet peeve): Cops are civies too. Only military
personnel should be allowed to get away with referring to the rest of
us as "civilians". :-)

--
                                          -Jon-