Re: Wheel issues

From: TerribleTom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Wed May 19 2010 - 19:48:58 EDT

Chris wrote:
> Ugh.. No coolant leaks and driving it just fine. Now the front driver's
> wheel is extremely hot after 10 minutes of driving. The wheel is almost
> too hot to touch, and there was a bit of smoke and a smell of brake
> material buring.
>
> Is this the bearing or a frozen caliper? How can I tell?

Pull the wheel... if the brakes look like shit, its the bearing. Look
at the rotors for scoring, blueish tint indicating high heat... compare
it to the passenger side if you need to. To make sure its a bearing...
pull the caliper and rotor and spin the hub by hand. If its very
difficult, very loose, notch feeling, its the hub.

--
TerribleTom