OT: 626 overheating and blowing coolant

From: Robert Schultz (rob@schultzfamily.ca)
Date: Mon May 31 2010 - 09:47:13 EDT

Guys:

Looking for opinions on an issue with my wife's 2000 Mazda 626, 2.5L V6
5spd.

Last year it started to overheat occasionally. Since there's no idiot
warning for the temp, and the temp gauge is hidden by the steering wheel
rim, we'd stalled it right out once due to the temp.

Thinking it was a leaking hard gasket we swapped engines with a unit
with about 2/3 the mileage.

6 months later, the car starts doing the same thing. It's overheated to
stalling once and frequently when my wife backs into the garage it will
leave a trail of coolant from the overflow reservoir. The reservoir
appears to be full (it was actually over full for a few weeks there).
I've never noticed it leaking coolant when I drive it (of course! ;-).
Only when it's backed into the garage at home.

So, is there anything it could be besides the engine? Rad cap? (you know
that would piss me off eh?)

Water pump is new (changed when the engine was installed), rad is
original AFAIK (bought car used at 3 yrs/124,000 km/60,000 miles).

Rob S.