Re: Hard Starting - 2000 4.7L

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Aug 12 2010 - 20:33:45 EDT

Ted Wiegandt <twiegandt@gmail.com> wrote:

> I had the same thing happen. There is a $0.02 check valve that starts
> to leak that is suppose to hold fuel pressure after you shut the
> engine off. Try cycling the key 3-4 times without starting the engine
> and then start it. Every time you put the key in the run position the
> fuel pump will kick on for about a second then shut off if the engine
> is not running. If the engine starts easily after cycling the key,
> you can be pretty sure that it is a bad check valve which is part of
> the fuel pump..

> Do not buy an Airtex fuel pump. Mine left me stranded after less than 6 months.

I was going to suggest the same thing regarding cycling the key. No
need to keep cranking the engine, let the pump build up the pressure
first with the key cycling prior to trying to start it. You will
probably be able to hear the pump kick on if you listen carefully.

A bad check valve makes sense. If the problem is indeed the check
valve, I would look into splicing a check valve into the existing fuel
line, as close to the fuel pump as possible. That would certainly be a
lot less expensive than purchasing a new fuel pump.

--
                                          -Jon-