Re: Brakes

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Sep 16 2010 - 11:37:57 EDT

> I've also heard stories of brake shops getting sued for accidents using
> the pump the brakes method... apparently a worn master cylinder can form
> a "lip" at the end of normal travel due to the piston in the bore
> wearing the walls where it commonly rides. When it crosses the "lip"
> when the pedal goes to the floor with the bleed open, it can damage the
> piston seal and at some point in the near future after that, suddenly
> you have no brakes. I've never had a problem but for $30 I figured
> better safe than sorry.

    I have heard that as well. You can avoid that possibility by not
pushing the pedal past the normal stopping point, just use short
strokes. This is a bit of a hassle if you are using the 2 person
method and need to coordinate the wrench and the brake pedal, but
should be a cinch with the speed bleeders since they have a built-in
check valve. A block of wood could be placed under the brake pedal if
you want to make absolutely sure you don't go beyond that point.

--
                                          -Jon-