Re: Re: DTC P-1740 for the 3rd Time

From: Andy Levy (andy.levy@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Sep 19 2010 - 22:58:16 EDT

Yeesh, I'm offline for a little while and everyone has delusions of grandeur.

Barry & Rascal posted many of the same thoughts I had. I think there's
a very basic misunderstanding here. The DML isn't some random public
web forum (whether it's "private"....eh, I dunno, anyone can join in,
and the archives are available to the world). It's very much a family.
We're all very comfortable around each other even if we don't always
agree and tend to be a little loose with the language. People speak
their minds. We trade barbs back & forth but it's not mean-spirited,
and there's inside jokes that go along with it. There's the weird
uncle we don't talk much about. It's like we're all gathered around
the Thanksgiving table & engaged in a roaring conversation or twelve
all at once. Then we'll go have a few beers and pass out watching
football in the living room.

"This guy Tom" is a fixture in this family and his escapades are the
stuff of legend. If I didn't know him personally and hadn't seen this
stuff with my own eyes, I never would believe it myself. Seven years
later, I still kick myself for reacting to news of his midnight (ok,
3AM) swim with "yeah, whatever guys, I'll check it out in the morning"
instead of waking up & getting out of bed.